Saturday, January 2, 2010

The Lighthouse


The first was a theme day so today I am starting the year with Three Rivers' lighthouse, which has been preventing kayak and canoe pileups on the river since... er, no, it really is just ornamental. (It does actually have a light, though.) Placed at the spot where the Rocky River joins the broad St. Joseph River, the lighthouse recalls the days before the railroads when commerce flowed along the rivers. The lighthouse is also the city's de facto symbol, used on city vehicles and by local merchants in their advertising.

On January 1, lots of soft, puffy snow. Today, lots of sunshine, 15 degrees F, -9 degrees C.

12 comments:

bitingmidge said...

Canoes kayaks and ... pedal boats?

You had me going till half way through the third line!

Sunshine Coast Daily Photo - Australia

Laurent said...

I would not get in a canoe with this weather !

Ben Nakagawa said...

Does it light up in the night? It's interesting to see.

Unknown said...

As I was reading the first sentence I thought to myself 'this can't be true!!!', but you were joking, of course! :-)))

Louis la Vache said...

Brrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!
Your temperatures make the cool-for-us temps we've been having a veritable heat wave in comparison1

Joan Elizabeth said...

This is so different from our part of the world. I recently visited the spot where two of our great inland rivers meet ... nothing like this and certainly no snow.

Sally said...

Thanks for the new year greetings -a bit tardy in reply - I am on holidays!
Happy New Year!

Zyzzyz said...

A wee reminder of the past glories of river trade.

Tom Bailey said...

I would think there would be more ice on the river by now.

Thanks for sharing. The water looks very cold though.

Best regards,
Tom Bailey

IamMBB said...

What a beautiful scene. I love lighthouses, even when they are just ornamental.

tapirgal said...

It looks very pretty - but are you sure you call these rivers???

Andreea said...

A beautiful winter landscape - made even more beautiful by the fact that I see it from the comfort and warmth of my house :)