Sunday, November 15, 2009

Michigan Tiki


"Tiki" as a decorating style, idealized to ridiculous adaptions of decorative elements from a broad range of Pacific cultures, was popular among restauranteurs and suburban homeowners in the US in the 1950s. When I was growing up in California there were still some remnants of the style, especially "Tiki-torches", decorative garden lamps for outdoor parties, and in the decor of moldy old restaurants and bars. Moving to the midwest, I was very surprised to find "Tiki" still "alive and kicking" in rural areas, with Tiki-themed restaurants and Tiki-themed rest stops along the highway. I even once spotted a "Tiki" gas station.

Yesterday was a lovely sunny day, and I went out on the Portage River here in Three Rivers. Along the river this property-owner has a nice dock with comfortable chairs - and a palm-frond decorated "Tiki" umbrella! Looks so jaunty with the bare deciduous trees, don't you think? :-)

8 comments:

Sue said...

I would guess we are behind many trends here in the midwest. I remember when there were tiki themed motels in Florida. As a child I found them the most fascinating.

Sue

Three Rivers, Michigan said...

Oh, different fads go in different cycles in different places. I've always sort of wondered how far this one spread! I'll have to look for "Tiki" when I go to Florida.

brattcat said...

I'm not sure 'jaunty' is the word I'd use. It looks more like a bird that's been blown off course and is wondering what the heck it's doing there. I'm wondering if I'd have that 'mis-placed' impression if the trees were leafed out at the height of summer.

Lowell said...

We have a lot of tiki huts here in Florida as the Seminoles used them...there are two on the museum grounds in Ocala.

Love this photo, by the way!

bitingmidge said...

I think brattcat is pretty close to the mark here! We've just experienced our first proper Autumn, but tomorrow we return to summer at home, so there'll be plenty of Tiki culture to photograph!

You've given me an idea!

Sunshine Coast Daily Photo - Australia

B SQUARED said...

There is just something wrong about Tiki-anything in the Midwest. It has kind of run it's course here, as well.

Three Rivers, Michigan said...

"Just plain wrong" yes, but... Tiki lives forever! I will be watching for bitingmidge's idea...

VP said...

Tiki is already out and I never knew anything about it! Love the picture anyway...